SEVERAC L'EGLISE

 

SeveacEgliseFontaine01

 

With its ancient origin, the name of Séverac l’Eglise comes from « Severi Ager », field of Severus, a Roman general. 

 

A fortified castle (Point n°5) was situated where the old church was built later (demolished in 1900 – nowadays the school’s playground). The castle was surrounded by a moat, of which some traces remain today.

 

The castle was composed of fortified houses, whose cellars were used as food reserves during religious wars and periods of trouble.

 

 

 

 

 

IconePDF
                         Download the circuit " coeur de village "by clicking on the PDF icon

FaLang translation system by Faboba